The Saratoga nameplate first appeared in 1939 and was applied to Chrysler's least expensive full-size eight cylinder models, below that of the New Yorker Special and the Imperial.
In 1940, Chrysler assigned the Saratoga to its Series 26 eight-cylinder models, along with the Traveler and New Yorker models. For 1940, the car was available only as a four-door sedan, and in two interior configurations, sport and formal.
In 1941, the Saratoga was assigned to Chrysler's Series 30, and in 1942 to Series C-36; again in both years, the car was available only with an eight cylinder engine. For both model years, the Saratoga was available in a wider array of body styles than in 1939 and 1940.
The Saratoga nameplate returned for 1946, positioned as Chrysler’s least expensive eight-cylinder model, in a full array of body styles. Annual styling changes were almost non-existent between 1946 and the "First Series" 1949 Chryslers. Because of government restrictions on manufacturer source goods, Chrysler offered white steel "beauty rings" on its car wheels to give the appearance of wide white wall tires. White wall tires as an option returned in 1947.