Engine choices were:
- 1.4L (SOHC carb) with 88hp DIN (65kW)
- 1.5L (SOHC SPI) with 90hp DIN (66kW)
- 1.6L (SOHC MPI) with 115hp DIN (85kW)
- 1.6L (DOHC MPI) with 130hp DIN (96kW)
- 1.6L (DOHC carb) with 106hp DIN (80kW)
- 1.8 TD turbodiesel, Peugeot-engined, sold in France, Italy and Portugal only.
In Japan and other Asian/Australasian countries, the Concerto was also available with an SOHC 1.6L dual carb engine. 4WD was also an option in Japan. Interestingly the Concerto range featured a 1.6 16v SOHC engine, quite an unusual design to have sixteen valves on a single cam.
The Concerto was sold internationally on a platform which was larger than the popular Civic, it also offered more features than the Civic and was more prestige market.
One difference between the British built and Japanese built Concertos was that the front suspension - versions built in Swindon had MacPherson struts unlike their Japanese counterparts which had double wishbones.