The Luce was updated in 1975 with an optional 2.0L (1970 cc) engine which produced 103hp (76kW) and 123N·m (167N·m) from a 2 barrel carburetor. Another option was the 13B rotary engine, producing 127hp (93kW) and 138N·m (188N·m). A more efficient 2.0L I4, producing 90hp (66kW) with a single-barrel carb, was added in 1977. The final addition was a 2.2L Diesel engine for 1980. Its output was 66hp (49kW) and 104N·m (142N·m). The 929 was replaced after 1979 by the next generation Luce/929.
- 1973-1980 1.8L (1769 cc) 1800 I4, 2 barrel, 83hp (61kW)/101ft·lbf (137N·m)
- 1975- 2.0L (1970 cc) F/MA I4, 2 barrel, 103hp (76kW)/123ft·lbf (167N·m)
- 1977-1980 2.0L F/MA (1970cc) I4, 1 barrel, 90hp (66kW)
- 1980-1981 2.2L Diesel, 66hp (49kW)/104ft·lbf (142N·m)
- 1975-1981 13B, 127hp (93kW)/138ft·lbf (188N·m)
The next generation 929 was introduced in 1981, remaining an export version of the Mazda Luce. It was a large front-engine rear-wheel drive sedan or estate car on the new HB platform with the Mazda Cosmo. This version was introduced in 1982 in some markets and produced until 1986, though Japan got a new Luce a year earlier.
In Europe the 929 was badged 2000 or 2000E (E denoting 'estate car' and not German Einspritzung "injection, unlike Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The turbo version was never offered in Europe, neither was the saloon (although parts of Europe bordering on Eastern Europe and the Middle East received the saloon version. Cyprus got both the sedan and estate car versions.
- 1981-1986 2.0L (1970cc) F/MA I4, 1 barrel, 90hp (66kW)/118ft·lbf (160N·m)
- 1981-1986 2.0L (1998cc) FE I4, 2 barrel, 101hp (74kW)/115ft·lbf (156N·m)
- 1981-1986 2.0L (1998cc) FE I4, FI, 118hp (87kW)/126ft·lbf (171N·m)
- 1986-1987 2.0L (1998cc) FET I4, FI, turbo, 120hp (89kW)/150ft·lbf (203N·m)
The 929 was updated in 1986 (1987 in some markets) with the HC platform and a 3.0 Liter V6 engine. The car was produced through 1991, again lagging behind its Japan-market twin, the Mazda Luce, by one year. The 929 began U.S. and Canadian sales in 1988; the only engine option was the 3.0 Liter V6.